What Did You Do For Your T Today…

Homepage Forums Members Area Truck Talk, in General What Did You Do For Your T Today…

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Toolslinger
    Participant

Thanks for the note on the shocks. Based on what they look like, and searching on the net, they’re Houdailles. What they’re filled with, I can’t say yet. I’m finding they used 3 different fluids. Glycerin, Caster Oil, and the 3rd eludes me at the moment. Might just be hydraulic oil, but can’t recall.

I did find that I could purchase new cylinders for the front brakes. However, since I had to send the Hi-Tork cylinders off to get sleeved, I decided to just get the front cylinders sleeved as well. No more rust pitting worries for me. They all go out via UPS today, so in a couple weeks, they’ll be back. I’m using White Post Restorations. When I called them, they described the Hi-Tork cylinders to me just based on the name, and said they do a couple a week.

I got my pricing back on the custom anchor springs… I’m glad I was sitting down at the time. I’m going to get a number made most likely since most of the cost is in the setup. That gives me a life time of springs, and hopefully I can sell some to offset the cost.

If I get the 404 rolling right, I won’t know what to do with myself… Not that I can drive it due to the engine missing for some reason… I am hopeful that, that is something simple… Perhaps just the distributor cap, wires, or plugs… None of those have any hours on them, but they are a few years old now…

-Tim

Toolslinger
    Participant

Well the cylinders just came in! They look absolutely perfect.

More than worth the roughly $500.

Springs are going to take a few more weeks.

With any kind of luck, I’ll be able to get back out there before it gets too cold to get things rolling, and stopping again.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Toolslinger.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Toolslinger.
    Fredpuhn
    Participant

Today I posted a wanted ad on this website for two parts that I need. Front shocks are not on this 1935 211AD truck. They were apparently an option. There are mounting points for the shocks on the truck so all I need is someone with a parts truck with shocks. I want these because the couple times I drove it the ride was worse than stiff.

A more important need is the metal channel that wraps around the back of the cab at the height of the rain gutters. Behind this channel is the joint between the top of the cab and the back of the cab. There are nails through this channel that go into the wood inside the cab. This joint is critical to keep the cab from falling apart. I imagine years other than 1935 would use the same part, judging from photos.

If anyone has a parts truck please let me know. You can contact me at fredpuhn@cox.net, by phone at (619)475-1155, or by letter at Fred Puhn, 425 Shell Ave., National City, CA 91950.

Toolslinger
    Participant

Home from a weekend out of town, and I was greeted by a box from Century Spring…

Now, I just need to find time to get out to the T to get the brakes back together…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Toolslinger.
    Bill Fisher

Nice Toolslinger! They look great!

Toolslinger
    Participant

And finally, all 4 rebuilt cylinders are on the truck! What’s more is it actually rolls.
    After a couple years of not running, I drained the gas, added a couple gallons fresh, and while not happy, it is running again, and is sitting out in the field for a time while we need some equipment trapped behind it normally.
    Missing on at least one cylinder, possibly two. The float on the carb is a little sticky, so it took a bit of tapping. Don’t know if that will clear up with some Seafoam and use, but that will be the first attempt rather than pulling it off.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Toolslinger.
    david payne
    Participant

Toolslinger : GREAT ! TO HEAR THAT YOU HAVE YOUR DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 404 IN RUNNING CONDITION AGAIN.
    THANKS AGAIN, FOR THE COPY OF THE DIAMOND T TRUCK, FACTORY PARTS BOOK , MODELS 201 & 306,
    THAT YOU MAILED TO ME, A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO. DAVID PAYNE

david payne
    Participant

Toolslinger : KEEP THE MEMBERS OF THIS WEB SITE POSTED, ABOUT THE RUNNING CONDITION AND ANY MORE REPAIRS
    TO YOUR DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 404. CORRECTION TO MY STATEMENT: I RECEIVED A COPY OF THE DIAMOND T TRUCK, FACTORY PARTS INFORMATION, FOR DIAMOND T TRUCK MODELS 201 and 306 from Fred Englehard ; ( also known as fce111 ) in 2008. Fred ( fce111 ) might (?) still have a copy available , for those members that have a DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 201 OR MODEL 306. NOTE: THE EMAIL ADDRESS to contact FRED .. .( fce111 ) is posted on this web site. DAVID PAYNE

Toolslinger
    Participant

Thanks for that correction… I’d be happy to share whatever I have, but I sure didn’t remember coming up with that particular tidbit… Thought I was loosing it.

Toolslinger
    Participant

Spent Saturday morning at a antique truck show. Over 700 trucks, and only one T. It was a 50’s vintage with the flatter front grill.

Changed the plugs, and no more missing! Wasn’t quite right, so I dove in to the points, and got them set just about .020″. That helped a lot… Just tweaked the idle and mix a little, and it was running just beautifully. Took it around a long country block, and everything was working just about perfect. One of the brakes is just a little clingy and doesn’t release immediately, but that may clear up with either some miles, or I may still need to adjust them a little. Not enough issue that I wouldn’t take it out on the road since it does release after rolling a foot or so.

Checked all the lights just because, and they’re all good to go too.
    Full bottle of Seafoam in the tank with about 7 gallons of fuel. With any luck, that will clear up any crud that built up in the carb from not running much.

Now all I have to do is get my head around the double clutching, and there will be two T’s at that show next year. Show is on the other side of the mountain the farm is at the base of. I have many memories of my father and uncle fighting that tranny up and over that road with a full load of fire wood on. It wasn’t fast, but it always made it.

Bill Fisher

Sounds like a great truck show, Toolslinger! At least there was a Diamond T there…. and maybe two next year! Not too many people around this area even know what a Diamond T is. When you tell them what it is, the first thing they ask is who made them.
    Glad you finally got your “T” out for a spin. It must be satisfying to be able to reap the benefits of your hard work, and be able to enjoy a vehicle that has a close family history. Have fun with that double clutching!! I remember having to do that on an old dump truck I had to operate way back when.
    Have fun with it!

Toolslinger
    Participant

Apparently nothing can go easy…
    I ran out to the folks place to pick up a trailer load of oak my father had purchased 25+ years ago to rebuild the bed. It is coming home to my place as I have the heavy woodworking gear to handle some of the bigger pieces.

While I was there, I decided to take the T around the country block to make sure it stays running and rolling.

Started nicely.

Got going down the road nicely.

Then I hear something not right. The sound of something hitting sheet metal. About the 5th hit I noticed the speedometer was going crazy. On the next hit, the speedo dropped to 0 and stayed there. So I guess the cable must have bound a bit, and then snapped. Delightful.

Climbing under the T was not on the list of things to do, so I didn’t get to see what I’m up against. I have to imagine that cable must run all the way back to the rear due to the two speed rear. Anyone had to do one of these yet? I don’t think they’re exotic, but then I didn’t think the brakes were going to be difficult either…

david payne
    Participant

Toolslinger: DOES YOUR SPEEDOMETER CABLE CONNECT TO THE TWO SPEED AXLE (?) or to the TRANSMISSION (?) for your model 404 DIAMOND T TRUCK. DAVID PAYNE

Toolslinger
    Participant

I was thinking it must run back to the axle. Then I started looking around for info on other makes with 2 speed rears, and I’m finding that many of them have a small vacuum shifted gearbox for the speedo cable, and it still ties in to the tranny. Next time I get out there, I will have to investigate.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.