What Did You Do For Your T Today…

Homepage Forums Members Area Truck Talk, in General What Did You Do For Your T Today…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Toolslinger
    Participant

I know I have to work on the T slowly… I’m happy when I can get one little thing accomplished over a weekend, since really, the T isn’t something that has to be done… So, since those little things never really seem to warrant their own topic, I suggest others throw their small accomplishments in here…

Thoughts? Good idea/bad idea?

To that end… This weekend I managed to get the original carb reinstalled after rebuilding it last week. It took a bit to get her running again after that, and the carb was leaking fuel like crazy at all the new seals. I was able to tighten up things, and the leaks stopped. I guess the seals just wanted a little fuel on them to soften up. So she’s running again. Not perfect though. My father thinks the timing is off a little as it just doesn’t idle quite right… Close, but not like it should. Hopefully we can address that next time I get out there.

We also got the sheet metal reinstalled that covers the wiper motors. That looks great, but I failed to reinstall the sun visor, so that will have to come down again next time I get the chance. No need for the visor right now since the rear brakes drag. They are the next project I really need to address so I can at least get it back on the road. Sitting is no way to keep the truck running well…

So, what did you guys do?

Bill Fisher

Great thread Tim! Sorry, I didn’t do anything directly for my T, but I did get myself a small welding table today, and I am trying to sort out the bits and pieces that I have bought over the years to help with the restoration. Not to mention that it’s my birthday, and I did indulge in a few wobbly pops!
    Will have another go tomorrow!

Bill Fisher

Well, for the last couple of days I’ve been getting the truck ready to put into the shop. It’s been a long time coming. I ended up moving just after I got the truck and the new place was pretty much bush with a house on it! Had to start from scratch and do some clearing and building. Since the animals took priority over the toys the barn came first, then the shop/garage. This year (read “a couple of weeks ago”) I finally got my shop finished and worked at getting the truck moved in. The truck got moved in yesterday afternoon, and none too late. Woke up to about 3″ of snow on the ground this morning, and it hasn’t stopped falling all day!
    I managed to get the deck off, but the boards were pretty much done.
    Got the deck off
    Parked in her new home
    Moved in
    It fits, but the shop sure isn’t too big!
    Just fits

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Bill Fisher.
    Toolslinger
    Participant

Man, it’s nice to see a roof over the T… I haven’t even seen mine in over a month…

Bill Fisher

Well Toolslinger, have you seen your T lately! I’ve been rounding up my parts and pieces, but haven’t even had a poke at mine yet. Started cleaning out the cab, found the engine crank, a wheel nut wrench and a neat old ’70s Mr Pipps drink bottle!

Toolslinger
    Participant

Sadly, I have not… I was supposed to get out there a couple weeks ago, but as usual something came up. Not to much will happen now over the winter as it is just too damn cold to work on it.
    That’s not to say I haven’t been busy with the antiques… Just found a garage for my girlfriends ’63 Fairlane, and my little backhoe. Plus picked up another little loader to deal with the winter at work that needs some help…

I got a kick out of the things we found in the cab when we were putting the overhead sheet metal back in. Lots of old registrations, and dump permits spring to mind. We don’t have the hand crank for ours. That’s just fine by me, there is no way I’d play with that. Starters and batteries are easy fixes…

-Tim

Toolslinger
    Participant

Well, I haven’t been around here much, and around the T even less… This week, I’m out by the T supposed to be doing roofing, but Rain is pending…. So amongst other things indoor, I pulled the right rear brakes apart today. Looks like a bad brake cylinder. I did the other side in the past, and found a replacement, but now I imagine I’ll have to get this one rebuilt… Pain, and not cheap, but doable… I have to check the other three tomorrow.

Toolslinger
    Participant

Pulled the cylinder today… Cleaned out as much as I could, and them forced out the cups with a grease gun. Apart from a torn dust boot on the large cylinder, I was able to clean everything. It looks like it’ll be ok. So since I found the left rear dragging as well, I pulled that side. There’s a broken return spring in there unfortunately. I had to do one of those springs 5 years ago, and found that while I couldn’t find exactly the right spring, there is a spring used on Harley Davidsons that works perfectly. I figure the chrome will help keep them from rusting out.

On a whim, we jacked the front too, and found the front left is dragging… I can’t pull those wheels until I can move the truck again because of where we have it parked. With any luck it is simply seized pivot points as I found on the right rear. I had to hammer them with a mallet to get them to move a little. Both rears are now ready to get bled, and remounted once I get a) a new dust boot, b) new springs, and c) new locking washers for the axle nuts.

While I’m sure the Wagner Lockheed Hi-Tork brake system was a premium at the time, I’d be much happier if I could just go and buy new cylinders.

I don’t think ?I can do anything else on it now until I get the above mentioned hardware. Then I can turn it around for the fronts, and possibly dig in to the ignition/timing system. It just doesn’t idle how it should.

-Tim

Bill Fisher

Hey Tim, good to hear from you. Glad that you are “doing something for your T today”! I’ve been poking around with mine trying to get the spark plugs out…. Seems the previous owner may have stripped the shoulders off of one of the spark plugs trying t get it out, and busted another of the plugs off in the head. I have some work ahead of me now.
    Bill

Toolslinger
    Participant

Bill, that doesn’t sound like much fun… I think I’d be looking for a flank drive socket to work on the rounded one, and then possibly weld a nut to the remains of the other… Lots of penetrating oil, and patience couldn’t hurt either… I have on occasion hammered a metric socket that is a little too small on to a stripped SAE nut… It doesn’t always work, and often wrecks the socket, but there are times I’ve been desperate (and impatient)…

I’ve already got the new dust boots in hand, and the 3 additional motorcycle springs are on their way. Next trick is to see if Century Spring will be able to make up the last two anchor springs for me. I should have crawled under the front wheels to see if they had the same brake cylinder mounting pattern while I was out there. If it’s the same I’d just get more springs on hand now, but I guess it’ll have to wait until I’m out there again on the upcoming holiday weekend. I can put the rears back together now, but I would sure like to have those anchor springs be new. I’ve gotten pretty good at pulling those drums off now, but it still isn’t any fun.

-Tim

Bill Fisher

Sounds like you have your chores well in hand Tim. Cool find with the Harley Davidson springs, I’m sure that these tips and tricks will be appreciated by all that read them. Thanks
    As for the spark plugs, I’ve been keeping the spark plugs soaking in penetrating oil, and have poured some diesel into the 5 cylinders that I can get into. We’ll see what happens!
    Bill

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Bill Fisher.
    Toolslinger
    Participant

Well, I’m still going back and forth with Century Spring on the anchor springs… They’re going to be pricey, but really, I don’t see many other options. I’ve been through every drum brake hardware/spring kit I can and there just isn’t anything similar. Since I imagine most of the cost will be in the setup, I’m going to get a number made, and perhaps be able to sell the extras to offset the cost. I know I’m not the only person with the Hi-Tork brakes looking for parts.

I did, however, get to pick up my new tanged washers I had made. My waterjet guy did a fantastic job on them. The steel I got is probably a little harder than ideal, but I tried bending a tab yesterday, and it isn’t horrible.

So, this weekend, I’ll put it all back together, and bleed the brakes so I can get it turned around, and pull the fronts apart.

-Tim

Toolslinger
    Participant

Got things back together today. It took some doing to get the left rear to spin without dragging, but I got there. Not perfect, but it will wear in quickly I suspect. After bleeding the brakes, I found fluid dripping from the right rear, so I guess I didn’t get lucky with that cylinder… That will have to come off again, and go out for boring, and sleeving. Not my first choice, but then it’ll be done forever… On the plus side, the rears apply and release nicely right now.

Tomorrow, I’ll get the T turned in the barn, and pull the fronts. There is a little drag in the front drums, so hopefully it is just some rusty pivot points, but I checked the records, and the last time anyone was inside the front brakes was the early 70’s… I’d say that doesn’t bode well. I just need to get parked where I can pull the fronts, and the right rear. After that, it will have to sit for a number of weeks until I get the cylinders back, along with the new anchor springs for the rears.

-Tim

I’ll also get a chance to look at the front lever shocks with the wheels off. There is no record of anyone checking them since my folks bought the truck in the late 60’s. I’m sure at the very least they’re going to need fluid. What kind, I can’t begin to guess yet, but I’ll jump off that bridge once I find out whatever brand/model info I can on them.

Toolslinger
    Participant

Well on the 6th I got the truck turned around. It rolls far better now, but the engine no running right makes moving it around a real pain since our barn is backed up on a pretty good hill… Got it in place so ?I can get to both that right rear, and both fronts. Pulled the fronts without much fanfare thankfully. The shoes are good, and nothing is seized mechanically. The cylinders are shot though. So, they’re off, and here with me now to either find replacements, or get sent out for sleeving. I’ll find out tonight some time if I can find new when I dig them out of my truck. The 7th was an auction day, and my truck is beyond packed with purchases, so the cylinders are buried under most of that…

I didn’t see any ID on the front shocks. I should have taken a picture, but I have a good memory, so I’ll try to find a match from other folks photos of lever shocks…

-Tim

Cliff
    Participant

The shocks in my ’49 Model 201 are made by Houdaille. If you search, you’ll find a few sites about rebuilding them. Apple Hydraulics will do it for you. I called them, because I’m thinking of getting a set for the rear of my truck. (Mine only came with them on the front.) He talked like he was familiar with the DT shocks, and it sounded like a similar model was used on Fords.

I think I read the fluid is glycol, for a pretty consistent viscosity throughout the temperature range.

FWIW, mine have probably never been serviced and seem fine, although my grandfather did not put many miles on them.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Cliff.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.