Need help with ID tag Information please!!

Homepage Forums Members Area Sharing my little bit of knowledge! Need help with ID tag Information please!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vic Posey
    Participant

I’m a new member due to being lucky enough to purchase a ’38 201 Deluxe 3/4ton pickup and a ’48 201 Flatbed 1 ton with dual rear wheels. The ’48 is fairly intact and has the serial number ID tag in place but the ’38 has been completely disassembled and the ID tag is gone. Thanks to the wealth of knowledge on this website, I have located the serial number stamped on the frame of the ’38 and I have purchased a new/blank ID tag but need to have it engraved before it can be shipped to me.
    So here’s the issue; I know the serial number and chassis model for the ’38 3/4ton but not the max speed, chassis weight or maximum gross weight. I know what the specs are for my ’48 1 ton but I would think the would be slightly different for the ’38 3/4 ton.
    Can anyone help me with the following information on a 1938 3/4 ton 201 deluxe pickup?
    Maximum Speed-
    Chassis Weight-
    Maximum Gross Weight-

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Vic Posey.
    david payne
    Participant

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: THE STARTING SERIAL NUMBER (also know as the CHASSIS number ) on the DIAMOND T FACTORY DATA PLATE ,
    FOR THE 1938 DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 201 ( 1 TON ) IS 2010001 to 2010367. Additional information for the 1938 model 201 (1 TON) DIAMOND T TRUCK ; 6 CYLINDER HERCULES ENGINE , 3 1/4″ bore x 4 1/8″ stroke = 205 cubic inch engine ; 25.35 HORSE POWER.
    THE STARTING SERIAL NUMBER ( also known as the CHASSIS number ) on the DIAMOND T FACTORY DATA PLATE , for the 1938 DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 80 DELUXE ( 3/4 TON ) is 304324 and UP. Additional information for the 1938 model 80 DELUXE ( 3/4 TON ) DIAMOND T TRUCK ; 6 cylinder HERCULES engine , 3 1/4″ bore x 4 1/8″ stroke = 205 cubic inch engine ; 25.35 Horse Power. NOTE: 1938 DIAMOND T TRUCK , MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER INFORMATION FROM the 1939 edition , BRANHAM AUTOMOBILE REFERENCE BOOK.

Vic Posey
    Participant

Hello David, Thank you for the information. Given what you’ve provided and my serial number (2010299), my 1938 201 is a 1 ton not a 3/4 ton as I was told. Is that correct?
    Based on what you provided, I am reading that the Model 80’s are 3/4 tons and the Model 201’s are 1 tons. Yes?
    If that is correct I would be safe using the chassis weight, max speed and GVW from my ’48 201. Would you agree?

Thank you again for you help!

david payne
    Participant

Vic Posey : FOR YOUR INFORMATION , YES , YOUR 1938 DIAMOND T TRUCK MODEL 201 DELUXE (2010299) is a 1 TON.
    YES , the MODEL 80 DIAMOND T TRUCK is a 3/4 TON and the MODEL 201 DIAMOND T TRUCK is a 1 TON TRUCK.
    IN REFERENCE TO YOUR QUESTION about the CHASSIS WEIGHT (?) ; MAX SPEED (?) and G.V.W. (?) for your 1938 DIAMOND T
    MODEL 201 DELUXE (1 TON) PICKUP TRUCK ; NOTE: I WOULD THINK THAT THE ( CHASSIS WEIGHT ? ) ; ( MAX SPEED ? ) and the
    ( G.V.W. ? ) for your 1938 MODEL 201 ( 1 TON ) DIAMOND T TRUCK ; would be the { same information } as your 1948 MODEL 201 (1 TON) DIAMOND T TRUCK. NOTE: ( “IF” ? ) any of the DIAMOND T CLASSICS MEMBERS has a 1938 DIAMOND T MODEL 201 DELUXE (1 TON) PICKUP TRUCK ( or a 1939 DIAMOND T Model 201 DELUXE 1 TON PICKUP Truck) ; THEY { “might” ? } post a message with the DIAMOND T FACTORY DATA PLATE INFORMATION for the (CHASSIS WEIGHT ? ) ; ( MAX SPEED ? ) and ( G.V.W. ? ).

Vic Posey
    Participant

David, Thanks for the verification and again for all the information. I’ve learned so much about these trucks in such a short period of time. I am gathering some technical resources on my end so please let me know if there is anything I can help you with in the future. I just picked up a Motors Manual for the 38-49 DT trucks with great specs, procedures and diagrams.(but no Serial#, GVW, etc info.)
    I also wanted to say how much I appreciate your efforts posting the DT eBay items. I know how much time that takes and its a great service to rest of the group.
    I’ll be needing a few grill pieces, namely the center vertical piece. Both my trucks are missing the same piece. Can you believe that?!?!
    Take care, Vic

david payne
    Participant

Vic Posey: you “might” want to contact , TOM WARREN , TOM RESTORES DIAMOND T TRUCKS. HE “might” (?) be able to {*** “confirm”} my answer to your QUESTION about the NUMBERS (?) for the MAX SPPEED (?) ; CHASSIS WEIGHT (?) ; MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT (?) on the FACTORY DATA PLATE { *** before you have Numbers Stamped on to the FACTORY DATA PLATE } for your 1938 model 201 DELUXE DIAMOND T PICKUP TRUCK.
    NOTE: TOM WARREN ALSO SELLS REPLACEMENT RUBBER PARTS FOR DIAMOND T TRUCKS.
    WARREN VINTAGE TRUCKS , 1620 S. Johnson St. , AMARILLO , TX 79102 ; PHONE: ( 806 ) 374 – 3056 ;
    MONDAY – SATURDAY 9AM. – 6 PM. CENTRAL TIME ;
    WEB SITE: http://www.diamondtrubber.com
    NOTE: you “might” ask TOM WARREN “if” he has the grill piece {center vertical piece} for both of your DIAMOND T TRUCKS.
    DAVID

david payne
    Participant

Vic Posey: QUESTION # 1 ; DOES YOUR 1938 – 1949 MOTORS TRUCK REPAIR MANUAL , LIST DIAMOND T TRUCKS BY MODEL NUMBERS (?) (example : model 201 , with specifications ; model 306 with specifications ; model 404 with specifications ; model 509 with specifications ; model 614 with specifications ; etc.). QUESTION # 2 ; is your 1938 – 1949 MOTORS TRUCK REPAIR MANUAL A : 1st EDITION ? ; 2nd EDITION ? ; 3RD EDITION ? .
    NOTE: TOM WARREN SELLS REPLACEMENT RUBBER PARTS FOR 1934 – 1949 DIAMOND T TRUCKS. DAVID

Vic Posey
    Participant

David, Thanks for the info on Tom Warren. His name has come up a lot in my DT research but I have yet to contact him. I am away from my shop but I will look at my Motor Manual when I get bay there Monday. I don’t remember any serial information. It’s a weird book, not what I expected at all. It lists all the specs by system. ie; Engines, Transmission, Rear Axle, Steering, Brakes, etc. but not by the model of the truck. There’s a lot of really good info in there but you’ve got to know where to look and know what you’re looking for. Talk soon

Cliff
    Participant

I suppose it is possible they offered more than one model of Model 201. However, my ’49 Model 201 is a 2-Ton truck. Empty, it weighs 4,000 pounds, with a rating of 8,000 lbs. Considering the rear leaf springs are twice the size of a Chevy 1-ton, this is not surprising.

Vic Posey
    Participant

Hi David, Sorry for the slow reply regarding your question about my Motors Truck Repair Manual. It is the 2nd addition, 4th printing and was copy written in 1948. It covers all trucks but specifically
    it covers the Diamond T’s from 1936-46 and has sections on Engines, Clutches, Transmissions, Drive Axles, and Brakes. It has another more generic section for carburetors, fuel pumps, generators, etc..
    Let me know if there is anything I can look up for you.
    Take care.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.