Help me find answers to a 201 rebuild

Homepage Forums Members Area Looking for parts Help me find answers to a 201 rebuild

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gary Nielsen
    Participant

Just sent my 1948 201 engine to the rebuilder. On the top, middle of the head, is a set of fittings with what looks like a coated cable that protudes and was cut off. Anyone know what this should go to. My Temp guage does not work but that has a connection to the side of the block.
    Who can tell me where to find internal engine parts if needed? Looks like two valves are stuck for sure, will know more when torn open. Oil pressure has been bad so I assume the pump needs rebuild. Whrere are those parts found? Any help and direction appreciated.

Toolslinger
    Participant

I don’t know the 201, but if it has a Hercules, you could always try them…

http://herculesengine.com/

-Tim

david payne
    Participant

Gary Nielsen: DOES YOUR 1948 MODEL 201 DIAMOND T TRUCK HAVE A { “HEATER” (?) } , located under the dash , passenger side } ( if , yes ? ) the coated cable ( “might” ? ) have been to control the water flow from the HERCULES engine { water (?) fittings , with a “HEATER CONTROL VALVE” and “COATED CABLE” } to the HEATER. DAVID PAYNE

Gary Nielsen
    Participant

Engine is at rebuilder. Has taken the device apart and found what looks like a wire in the center. Theory is it might be a head bolt heater. Having trouble getting the head off. Your idea might be correct. Any idea what the inside would look like or if that could be preventing the head from lifting off? Rebuilder has never had this experience.

david payne
    Participant

Gary Nielsen: I THINK THAT YOU DO HAVE A ” HEAD BOLT HEATER ” ; A HEATER { with a Heater Element , wire in the center } with an A C CORD and PLUG 110 volt } TO WARM UP the water inside the engine block , during the “COLD” WEATHER and to make your DIAMOND T TRUCK EASY TO START DURING THE “COLD” WEATHER.
    YES , the “HEAD BOLT HEATER” cold cause the FLAT HEAD on your 1948 model 201 , not to come off. NOTE: the out side of the
    metal tube for the “HEAD BLOT HEATER” should have some threads { one or more (?), sets of threads } on the outside of the metal tube , to thread in to the ENGINE BLOCK.

Gary Nielsen
    Participant

The theory was correct. The heater was holding the head on Engine apart, looking for main bearings. The engine has been worked on before, bearings already oversized.

Gary Nielsen
    Participant

Updating information. I found most of my parts from a funny web site-unexpected. It was called finewoodboats.com. Seems like the Hercules qxld3 was used in Chris craft boats and this guy has a lot of parts. The gasket set lacks front and rear seals since the marine cooling configuration was different.
    Found a gasket set with seals from Jobbersinc.com. They unfortunately sent the wrong piston ring set but my machinist was able to get those. Found the engine had been apart before so over/under size was needed The strange thing sticking out of the top turned out to be a odd looking engine block heater, that was holding the head on even after bolts were removed.

Bill Fisher

Another place that might have engine parts is Egge Machine Company. Worth a try.
    Keep us posted on your rebuild!

Donreid
    Participant

Egge rebuilt my water pump $300 Plus on my 38 DT with Hercules. Had to recut seal seat.
    I had a machine shop called Paul’s Service in Orville Washington do machine work and rebuild.
    I bought mains and rod bearings for my “47 509 from Hercules engine parts. They were new old stock still wrapped in beeswax
    cloth for protection. Both companies great to work with. DON REID THE DISHWASHER

rjkinney
    Participant
    Gary Nielsen
    Participant

Just a little more FYI on my rebuild. It seems to be successful, although I have been away from home. My friend and mechanic, Matt, was kind enough to put it away in storage. Says it ran well. Some more tweaking to do in the spring. Need a heater shut of valve and a replacement oil filter canister, old one had a hole in the bottom after cleaning the gunk out.
    Anyone know where to get a engine temp gauge sending unit?
    Also, be advised that Jobbers Inc. was able to provide a gasket set and rings. The rings were incorrect so we used others. They refused to issue a refund, did offer a credit but I have yet to find need for the other parts they stock. Be careful with the order from them. The wooden boats place I have told about was perfect.

david payne
    Participant

YOUR ENGINE TEMPERATURE GAUGE SENDING UNIT {STEWART WARNER # 442042 } COULD BE REPAIRED / RESTORED TO WORKING CONDITION , BY AN INSTRUMENT REPAIR SHOP.
    NOTE: IF THE CAPILLARY TUBE , FOR YOUR STEWART WARNER # 442042 TEMPERATURE GAUGE , HAS BROKEN OFF , WHEN YOU REMOVED IT FROM THE ENGINE BLOCK , THE INSTRUMENT REPAIR SHOP , CAN RE ATTACH THE CAPILLARY TUBE OR REPLACE IT.

david payne
    Participant

INSTRUMENT and SPEEDOMETER REPAIR SERVICE :
    (1) web site : http://www.williamsons.com
    (2) web site : http://www.bobsspeedometer.com
    NOTE: Both of These Above Listed INSTRUMENT and SPEEDOMETER REPAIR SHOPS have REPAIRED and RESTORED { to FACTORY NEW CONDITION } STEWART WARNER GAUGES from DIAMOND T TRUCKS.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by david payne.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.