DT Logo item What's it?

Homepage Forums Members Area Truck Talk, in General DT Logo item What's it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Toolslinger
    Participant

I thought this would make a nice piece mounted to some black walnut I have hanging around, so I put in a bid, and got it… Now the question is, what the heck is/was it? It looks for all the world like a floor drain cover. It isn’t heavy enough for that, but that’s the look for sure…

It is right about 5″ around, and would sit down in to a 4-1/2″ hole. Seems to be solid cast brass.

DT what's it.

david payne
    Participant

Toolslinger ( TIM ) note: I HAVE SEEN an ITEM like the one that { you have just bought } FOR SALE ON eBay before ;
    THE SELLER on eBay said that the item { like yours } was for an ASHTRAY.( the “top” cover for the ASHTRAY BOWL ).
    DAVID PAYNE

Toolslinger
    Participant

Thanks David. That makes perfect sense. This is the first of these I’ve seen.

Bill Fisher

What a cool item! Too bad smoking ain’t cool anymore. I quit 6 or 7 years ago and to be honest, i’d love one right now!
    Now if you could fine the rest, that would be something. Polished up in a piece of black walnut like you mentioned would be a great piece as well.
    Cheers

Toolslinger
    Participant

For the polishing/cleaning, I looked around a little. Obviously it isn’t going to work with mechanical polishing, there are just too many ins and outs… I suppose I could do a vibratory, or tumbler route, but I didn’t want to loose any detail.
    Well, to my amazement, I found a couple recommendations on line to use ketchup. Just ketchup, nothing else…
    I’m not a big ketchup fan, but I had a little, so what the heck… Dropped the piece in a glass bowl, covered in ketchup with a little water added to make it flow better. Wait 20 minutes, and rinse.
    I’ll be damned if it didn’t do a nice job. Obviously not gleaming, but the photo above is so much better than when I received it…I haven’t bought another bottle of the ketchup yet, so haven’t done a second round, but it is on the list of things to do…

I doubt I’d ever find the base… That would be nice, but it’d just become another fragile dust collector. I think I’ll do better with it just mounted, and hanging on the wall…

Bill Fisher

Ketchup !?! Too funny! Must be the acidity in the tomatoes. It sure will look good on the wall!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.